Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Moderation

The key to living right. Moderation. Well, in most respects. There are a few areas in life where moderation is simply an impediment. In the majority of other areas however, moderation makes the river of life flow smoothly and calmly. I am very good at moderating certain areas of my life that other people have a lot of trouble with. Alchohol for instance. I know a lot of people who enjoy it, but have a lot of difficulty just enjoying one or two. They often enjoy 6 or 12. That is just simply not a struggle for me. On the other hand, put a situation in front of me that has a directy relationship between its level of danger and its adrenaline output and I don't always use my better judgement. Contrary to popular belief, I often consider the outcome and the consequenses. I envision what could happen if things go wrong, and if they go right. I don't often just "go for it" without at least some thought. Often enough though, I consider either worth the risk or I underestimate the situation. For instance, I was once going swimming with some friends. The swimming hole was below a high bridge. It was probably sixty feet or so. I had determined before we even went that it would not be worth it to me to jump off because if I was to get hurt I would not be able to go to Brazil like I had planned. Some of the other young fellows were plannning to jump however and so we watched from below as they tried to work up their courage. They had been going on and on about how they were going to jump and basically how tough they were, only after about 15 minutes or maybe even 20, neither of them had gone. I do my best to "walk my talk" and when people brag and boast and then don't back it up, it annoys me greatly. I was so annoyed in fact that I went up on that bridge, readyed myself and after 5 or 10 minutes of making sure I was in just the right position, I jumped. OH BOY was it fun. Falling for multiple seconds and hitting so hard that I was turned completely upside down in the water. After I went, of course the others went as well, but I had to be the first. I had to show them up. And of course I did it again some time later. Fun? Yes! Adrenaline? Very much. Stupid? Yes again. That is where my battle lies, in the listening to the better judgment God gave me. One needn't live in fear, but one should not be foolish either.

1 comment:

shedhorn said...

i think that's why i had to sell my bow last year, god was teaching me "moderation", its ok to love archery, its ok to love hunting, i know that god gave me that love and passion. however its not ok to shoot my bow for 1-4 hours a day every day, its NOT ok to spend bill money on archery tackle. now i shoot about 2 or 3 days a week and make dew with the stuff i have, and to be honest i REALLY miss that bow but i am so much happier with my self, sorry so long love ya!