Tuesday, October 13, 2009

One Tuesday Morning

This morning was very similar to a morning I have at least one or two times a week. I got up early, though not as early as I'd planned. I took a long shower and then it was back to bed. My wife likes to snuggle and snooze. A lot. So I ended up not actually getting out of bed until 6:30. Considering I leave my house at around 7 to get to work on time, that didn't give me a whole lot of room to wiggle. Clean clothes were located, lunch was made and a hasty breakfast was prepared. Got it all together, zipped out the door, went back in to turn off a light, zipped out again, a last goodbye hug and it was on the road.
Lots of slow cars on the highway and freeway and eventually I made it to work.

Exciting no? I guess it beats a million other situations. I think I'd rather it be something like this:

I open my eyes. Through the small bedside window I see darkness tinged with the grey of the coming dawn and the outlines of giant evergreens. I slip from under the covers, careful not to disturb my sleeping wife and find my shoes. I grab my bow, quiver and skinning knife.

Outside I travel swiftly yet with almost no sound. I pass many small rodents en route to their daytime shelters, but they do not interest me. My path takes me through a mist enshrouded forest, up a steep hill to an outcropping of large rocks above a sprawling field. I settle in and wait. The breeze stirs my hair and cools my face. It's blowing uphill, carrying my scent away from the bedded down game.

As time ticks slowly by I thank God for the beautiful land and for all He has given me. His glory is shown plain and evident in all I can see. I have felt His provision and covering my whole life and there is no possible way I can sanely deny that He exists and loves me.

Suddenly I am stirred out of my revere. Movement down below. Three does rise from their beds to begin grazing. They love the dew covered grass. I could take any one of these but I would prefer a stag to avoid leaving a fawn without a caretaker. Soon, my patience is rewarded. A large buck enters the field and walks into plain sight. The arrow I've had strung stretches the string tight as the feather fletching brushes my cheek. I concentrate. My skill as a hunter is the only hope of survival for my family. The silent missile streaks through the air and finds its mark. I thank my Heavenly Father for His provision.

I arrive back at my home and find my wife making breakfast and preparing for the day. There is a lot to do but we are both looking forward to its challenges.





Maybe an apocalypse wouldn't be such a bad thing after all........

2 comments:

RavenM said...

Be careful what you wish for!!! I think either morning sounds great :) Glad to see you writing again bro.

Matthew said...

Its a time thing. Now that the colder weather is upon us, I am not NEARLY as busy at work.

Both mornings are good, but I think it would just be easier if the fruit of my labors were direct vs. spending all day just to earn a check that I never see to pay bills that I never see. I'm not complaining at all, I'm very thinkful for my job and house etc. but it gets a little mundain.