Tuesday, March 16, 2010

What's in a band name?

I have been meaning to write this for some time. Listening to KLOVE, not my first choice but only choice for christian radio in good ol' GP, I have recently heard a lot of band names that just sound silly. Names like Tenth Avenue North, Pocket Full of Rocks, and Mike's Chair. Hearing those names makes me wonder, just what kind of holy, inspirational message do names like those put forth? How do those names convey the image of Jesus Christ?
Then it occurred to me. Remember the passage in the gospels where Jesus is railing on the Pharisees for washing the outside of their vessels (aka themselves) when the inside was all maggoty? Well the band names are sparkling on the inside. All three of them put out songs that are just awesome, despite their unchurchlike names. The name is not important, the content is. We have to stop putting on airs like we are some big important thing. These band names have inspired me. They have inspired me to be less judgemental, and more open to letting God work His way.

1 comment:

shedhorn said...

Thats the way I look at things.