Monday, February 16, 2009

OMSI

I got the opportunity to go to OMSI, which is, Oregon Museum of Science and Information maybe? Something like that. I could look it up I guess, but naw, I'll just be lazy. It was an absolute blast. The regular part of the place has mostly stuff for kids to do. There are tons of science examples to play with such as a table where you build a building to withstand an earthquake then you hit the start button and it shakes all over to test your design and tons of other stuff. The area that was really interesting to me however was the special presentation of Leonardo Da Vinci. Wow. It was amazing. He invented and tested so many things that affect our current way of life. A lot of people know he worked with flying machines, but he also created multiple versions of the self-propelled car, cranes, automatic hammers, he designed a city to better withstand the black plague, and even though he hated violence, he made many war machines including a tank. All his inventions are enough to keep one entertained but he also studied the human body extensively, and then there is always his painting. There has been a lot of investigating done on the mona lisa, and that is really interesting. I have never been enthralled with the thing like so many people are, but once I saw the a picture taken of it in infra-red with a 240,000,000 megapixel camera, it liked it way better. I'm definitely going to have to do some research into him, I'm sure it will make for a good read.

1 comment:

RavenM said...

Sounds like a blast:-) Science works had those earthquake tables for a while. Nate and brannon had lots of fun with them.

I'd love to learn more about da vinci sounds fascinating!