Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Witnessing

What is the best way to witness to someone who knows the truth but is choosing not to act on it? I have a tough time trying to figure out whether to be "tough" on them or just kinda nudging them along towards changing their lives. It greatly depends on their personalities I'm sure. I think the most frustrating part is when they say things like "I know I need to clean up my act" or "I know I'm really bad". I want to say "This is important! This isn't like 'I need to exercise' or 'I need to clean my house'. This is LIFE or DEATH! Its not a matter of simply acknowledging the truth, you have to do something about it. Stop taking the easy path. Stop being lazy and get it together. There are a hundred people praying for you all the time. You can feel it, I know you can, God has a purpose for you and He really really wants to be your friend. Come on!"

But of course, that would take courage, and there is a good chance I'd get called "pushy" or something else. Maybe that is okay. Maybe I just need to get pushy. I really don't know right now. Time to pray and see answers in the word.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Matt, this is Sarah Perkins, I found your blog on your sister's. :-) This is a tough question that I think about a lot, and I do think you're right--it really depends on the person and the situation.

I've been teaching a class at my church and we're looking at a book called "Speaking the Truth in Love: How to be an Assertive Christian." I wonder if you might find some of the ideas in it useful.

And sometimes all you can do for a person is pray. You can't change them; only God can do that, and only they can choose to listen to Him.

Matthew said...

That is very true. Its so frustratrating when you try to get them to pay attention but they just choose not too. I will have to check out that book. Thanks for the suggestion.