Tuesday, January 27, 2009

God is a good God

I have a memory, from about 7 years ago when, while working at my first job (McDonalds) I said that I wished I had more patience. My boss told me to be careful what I wished/prayed for because patience only comes through situations requiring patience. Aka, annoying, frustrating times. Since then I have always thought twice about asking God to give me more of certain virtues, basically the fruits of the spirit. I remember the song from VBS, "Love joy peace, patience kindness goodness grace, gentleness, and self control, this is the fruit of the spirit. I was thinking about it today and you know what? God is good. Every good and perfect gift comes from God. If we, being evil, desire good for our children, how much more will God, the only good being in existence, desire good for us? That is a paraphrase to be sure, but that is basically what it says. God has good things in mind for us. He wants to prosper us, not harm us. We should never be afraid to ask of God. We should never be worried about unintentional consequences. He Desires good for us and He is the all powerful God. That's not to say the devil doesn't mess things up now and then, but God is stronger than the devil and even when bad things happen, God will bring good out of them. Every time.

Father, please help me to grow in every one of those fruits. Help me to be more patient, kind and help me please please please to have more self-control. Thank you so much. I love you Papa :)

2 comments:

RavenM said...

It's so true that asking Him to grow virtues in us will not bring us harm! I used to think that too. I guess we used to hear it a lot--"Don't ask for patience, God will destroy your life to give it to you"

The more we learn about our Papa the more we come to trust His love for us, don't we? :)

Matthew said...

Exactly. Getting to know God more and deeper is so freeing and revealing. It really shows me who I am. It shows me that He really does love me and that trust that seems so hard to give turns out to be something I really do not want at all. Please God, take this thing away from me, I can't handle it!