Monday, January 19, 2009

More Basketball

Last night we had our fifth regular season game. We started the season 0-3. Yuck! We even got beat by a team we should have walloped (we were up by 12 at one point) but ended up losing because we couldn't hold it together. Thursday was our fourth game. We only had 6 of our regular 11 in attendance. It went much better that way. Instead of changing guys in and out a bunch of times we kept more of a steady line-up playing. It was much easier to establish a rhythm that way. It was a close game and we ended up winning by four. Last night we had seven out of the regular eleven. Come to find out, one guy quit, another started swimming, and one might not show up to much due to work. One guy was out of town and no word on the last. We had a replacement for the quitter which was nice because it gave us more of a break. It was a hard fought game and just like the first time we played this particular team, there were way too many fouls. The score was close at first but we pulled away in the fourth quarter. As we went into the last couple minutes, my coach/manager/teammate told me that the plan was to pass the ball around a lot to avoid fouls and keep the clock running. "Try not to shoot it" he told me. Not a problem for me. I generally avoid shooting as much as I can because I am terrible at it. Coincidentally, the other team paid me no heed and I ended up getting the ball right under the hoop and scoring two baskets. Lay-ups I can do. It was a fun game and I hope we have the shortage of guys in the future. Call me selfish if you want, but I like getting to play more than a few minutes.

No comments: